PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - why europe?
Thread: why europe?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2004, 21:43
minus273

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks Send Clowns

Didn't think that there was a test for JAA ATPL. So not sure what Billiebob is on about.

As for the FAA you get your ATPL usually to become an FO in a regional airline after working as an instructor or air taxi (Part135).

It is a stepping stone so that the company knows that they can put you in command in 2-3 years time. That is all it really is, it is another weeding out tool.

There would be the most remote chance almost to the point of impossibility that you would be Captain in charge of a Heavy. Your licence permits this, but the fact is that until you have 3000-5000 hrs TT of which 2000 -3000hrs are on Jet aircraft you aren't going to be anywhere near a company that operates that kind of equipment.

So perosnally I would rather have the FO upfront flying my plane that has the experience than the book smarts. Rather than the 250 hour pilot that has done an MCC course.

I have 1700TT, 1400hrs as an instructor I still feel I am learning, there is no way that I believe that I am ready to fly a Heavy.

Maybe as an FO on an RJ and then learn from there.

MCC is nice but from my understanding you cant really even fail the course. So it is not really stoping people. The problem with flying is peoples inexperience and at 250hrs you are still inexperienced.

The comment made about instructors being better in command was based more on the further down the line view.

In the JAA system you have a lot of guys that have 250hrs when they are done with training. Which maybe 1/2 is dual (P2). They then do an MCC and get a job working for EasyJet or RyanAir. They work as an FO for 4-5 years and then come up for command. They maybe have 100-150hrs P1 and now they are captain on a 737.

That scares the hell out of me. They may have the total time but not any command time.

Anyways maybe it is just different ways to skin a cat. I just like that you have to work to get to where you need to be in the US and Canada. You also get to fly a load of different planes getting their.

Happy and safe flying one and all