PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should I bother?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2004, 18:18
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where's BEagle when you need him...

As I understand it, there are few (if any) exemptions for non-pilot military aircrew when obtaining a civilian flying qualification, though your Education Centre should be able to give you chapter and verse on that. However, your experience will carry some weight, particularly with those outfits that have a high proportion of ex-mil pilots.

When I left the RAF in 1998, I was aware of a number of fast-jet back seaters that spent their gratuities getting an fATPL, and they were generally welcomed to the airlines with open arms - though the hiring environment was healthier then than it is now. I believe there are a few working with me at Virgin, though I can't off the top of my head name any.

Whatever the current situation, you are pretty much committed to a major change of career and lifestyle whatever field of endeavour you choose, and I'd say you're reasonably well-placed compared to other wannabes - but your age is a handicap. Check the reference thread on the Wannabes/Professional Pilot Training forum for links to age-related threads (and a lot of other useful stuff).

Best of luck!

Scroggs