PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A day in the life . . . . .
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2004, 14:11
DoctorProctor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would have to disagree with the 'officer first' philosophy. The instructors will throw this party line during initial training, but in reality, in the squadrons that I've experienced, you are a pilot first. You go to work to fly. Of course, you need to contribute to the running of the squadron, but in my experience, most of these jobs are flying related. - You don't jump out of a hornet and then run away to do the book keeping at the mess!!

The RAAF is an absolutely awesome place to work. Without a doubt, you have the opportunity to do the best flying in Australia. You are surrounded by people who are not driven by the 'dollar', and if you get into the right units, most of these people are very professional. As a young guy, I cannot think of a more rewarding career in any field.

I don't know how motivating most of the PPRUNE threads would be to a prospective pilot. I truly feel sorry that a lot of the airline and GA guys are having such a hard time in the industry at the moment. The RAAF is definately a place where you can enjoy the flying, not worry about losing your job next month, and not worry about the bottom line ('cause 20 million of your closest friends are paying for the tonnes of kero you burn on every flight).

There are downsides to life in the RAAF, but the upsides definately outway them by a long shot, especially while you are young. Don't believe the recruiting ads. It's not a normal job.