PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EU / USA open skies negotiations
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2004, 04:42
Diesel8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been absent for a while, but good thread.

A few points to ponder:

How many major airports in the US are served by BA? How many major airports are served in the UK by a single US airline?

I think BA serves 11 airports in the US, where as I think AA serves three or four in the UK, with UAL even less. VA probably serves more destinations in the US than any US carrier does in UK.

There is one airport in the UK that all US airlines wish to go to, LHR. How about we restrict VA, BA and BMI to one major US airport!

The RPK's generated by less people in the US is larger than more people in the EU. There is just more flying in the US than anywhere in the world.

The US airlines are not really the ones psuhing for open skies, they have litle to gain, call it protectionism if that makes you feel better, but it is just the way it is. We do not prohibit EU airlines from serving the US, we just wish to get something in return and there is not much being offered, since the US have the largest market. Someone said that BA should not be forced to give up slots at LHR, well, cannot have your cake and eat it too, but that is what it appears to be the EU wants.

Yes, some airlines were subsidized as a result of 9/11. Most EU airlines, through the times, have been state subsidized because of poor economics, a few still are, so lets just call that an even draw. Heck, BA certainly gained from being state owned.

So I ask all my friends from across the pond: "How would open skies be a benefit to US airlines and perhaps more importantly, why are the EU airlines so keen on geting it?

Last edited by Diesel8; 16th Jun 2004 at 04:53.