PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MD80's in Asia ??
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2004, 16:01
Interconti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil

PK - KAR it seems we are both insiders regarding Lion Air. I have read your comments on the other thread about Lion as well.
I feel sorry for the local pilots at Lion Air. Local captains basic pay was lower than the expat F/O pay, which was 1650.- $ basic & 1250.-$ duty allowance. These captains totalled approx. 2000.-$/ month! Furthermore guys are bonded for 5 years with the company if given a MD80 conversion course.
Pilots are not only FORCED to disregard weather minimums but if they decide to tank additional fuel they have to justify their decision before the Operations Manager (he is a slimy crook by the way who has no clue about how to run operations). Maintenance/ airworthiness of aircraft is so bad that I don't even start to elaborate......
The local pilots can't argue much, if they do.... they are threatend by their so called management with immediate dismissal and in Indonesian aviation this means instantly the end of your career. Furthermore the local culture does not really allow for blunt criticism so better accept an 18 hour duty day flying 6 sectors with an unserviceable aircraft ..... and keep smiling all the time.... "no hurt feelings" is the credo

Concerning the girls you are right these hostess were chasing us! Every day....

Cheers

Last edited by Interconti; 3rd Oct 2004 at 11:35.