PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vortex Ring / Settling with power (Merged)
Old 15th Jun 2004, 13:50
Shawn Coyle

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why does the demo of IVRS work downwind and not into wind? Wish I knew.
But it does work downwind. Never had it work into wind.
By the way, I had the experience of dissecting a UK AAC Lynx accident several years ago where VRS was pretty clearly the culprit. The fact that it hadn't been considered by the Board of Inquiry at all went a huge way to convincing the Treasury Solicitor that the rather junior pilot was not completely to blame for the accident (his widow was being denied a pension as some military folks were saying he was to blame for allowing the helicopter to crash).
All the symptoms were there - turn to downwind with a descent from about 200' AGL, lots of pitching and rolling and heavy vibrations. Controls appeared to not be responding. No attempt to get out of it by flying away. Helicopter hit the ground with almost no forward motion - total length of wreckage was 90'.
VRS by the way is recoverable if you have enough altitude, as is evidenced by several people who have had it and walked back into the office without assistance of a nylon letdown.

My experience is that the symptoms of VRS are not recognized by most pilots - they can tell you the theory, but not what they are going to see in the cockpit.