PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vortex Ring / Settling with power (Merged)
Old 15th Jun 2004, 06:40
[email protected]

Received 643 Likes on 281 Posts
MOSTAFA - I have re-read the thread and your posts - settling with power is not the same as overpitching - overpitching is when the Nr decays due to insufficient engine power to keep driving the rotors - settling with power can occur without Nr decay, you simply don't have enough power to arrest your RoD. Overpitching may rapidly follow settling with power or be combined with it as the pilot tries to stop the ground from smiting him but the 2 events can happen quite separately.
Get Alan Wiles on the subject and he will tell you about VRS in a Scout and losing 6000 plus in the recovery in NI.
All of Nicks other points are valid, as ever, and we have been through the terminology issue several times on these threads.

The civvy world teaches incipient VRS recognition and recovery, the military doesn't, although the Sea King force used to do it at 10,000 feet, it is now covered in the simulator (much safer).
I have been shown and carried out the demo in an R22 and a 206 and frankly it's a bit of a non-event. Taking it beyond the incipient stage is in my view practise bleeding and the risks outweigh the benefit - at the point at which pilots are blase about VRS, someone is going to get hurt.

The argument about updraughting air producing VRS is cobblers - in an updraught your pitch settings are much lower (sometimes in autorotation) so the recirculation at the tips is much less and the root AoA much lower. I have sat in more updraughting air than I can remember in several different aircraft types and the only time a descent occurs is when the wind gusts or drops and you are a bit slow to react. The only problems with approaches to mountain sites in these conditions are that even with the lever fully down, a big updraught will send you upwards and once you move out of the updraught your power required increases very quickly, especially if there is any turbulence caused by ledges/ridges which can produce a local downdraught (like rotor streaming). We teach SAR pilots to fly in the updraughting air in the mountains because it is so much safer/comfortable.