PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Take-off questions
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2004, 05:37
Kennytheking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi mutt,

Sorry about the confusion - let me try again.

Just a quick recap on V1. I am sure you know that it is the take off decision speed. It also has 2 requirements that it must meet to be valid.

1. It must be fast enough to permit the take off to continue on 1 engine(ie above Vmcg).
2. It must also be low enough to be able to stop before the end of the runway.

Let us consider where you are taking off on a relatively short runway, say 5000ft. Unfortunately the V1 turns out to be less that V1.

I am sure you will agree that if we take the same senario, but make the runway 10 000ft we could increase our V1 quite a bit.

Now just draw a parallel - we cannot increase runway length, however reducing the weight has the same effect(ie we have excess runway length).

Also remember that V1 is not a aerodynamic speed like Vr so it is in a way not affected by the aircraft weight. It is rather a function of runway length. Another example - if you have a V1 of 100kts and a weight of 30t and you are operating off minimum runway..........by reducing the weight, you could keep the V1 the same........or even increase it, and still stop before the end of the runway.

Ok I hope I haven't confused the issue even more.....

KTK