PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VH-KFI Mishap
Thread: VH-KFI Mishap
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2004, 04:14
Boney

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah, yes, the old working conditions at a DZ.

Peoples, if you are 'working' at a DZ that does not pay you, these days, you would definately be in the minority. As anyone in the industry knows, the parachuting industry started out yonks ago purely as clubs, therefore, (as is currently the case still today) no legal requirement to pay the driver. However, since Tandem operations started in the early 90's, these so called clubs are now able to make a profit. Full time Tandem Masters in this country earn Gross (as if they pay any money to that lying little turd in Canberra?) from $30,000 - $60,000 a year, depending on a variety of factors.

But where does this leave the driver?

My personal sentiments are ... (wait for the posts!?)

If you were working at a place that was purely a club, and I mean zero Tandems, then I see no major moral issue with a driver working, dropping ONLY licenced jumpers, for free. That is, actual real FUN jumpers, who themselves do not jump for work but jump for a hobby, and pay for their slot.

But, whenever a Tandem or ANY student jumps as part of a course, then the driver should be paid, say $10/load SE and $15/load. As a matter of course, as mentioned in another post above, the driver should not have to pay for his BBQ at the end of the day and he/she better have a free beer(s) to wash it down with as well.

All Tandems and Student jumps to be paid.

Of course this will never happen. While there are people out there who will continue to offer to work for free and even pay like a whore for hours. I am not even going to start that one.

I suppose you could always approach the APF about these issues as there are alot of non driver people within the parachuting industry who would believe in the cause (what, both of them?).
Only problem is that the person you will talk to in Canberra charges people to work for him. It works like this. You pay approx $5,000, get SE Turbine time, approx 50hr. ICUS, at the same time as about 5hrs/week command, in a C-182. After a couple of months you are not up to speed so must move on, to make room for the next poor bastard. By then, you will probably be so sore from the reaming, you will need some time off to go to the hospital for a re-bore anyway.

If the stories like above are true, this person needs to be investigated by the authorities. Been going on for years, I believe. Hey, why not get Today/Tonight on to it. They never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

No, I never worked there, but have met 2 that have, so what are the chances of getting a fair go for ALL meat bombers, I'd say sweet FA.

So what is a fair wage?

I checked out the award for drivers of bug smashers a while back so these are only Guessimates.

But if you are driving a C-182/C-206, you should be getting around $25-28,000 pa gross. Without a calculator, I think this equals about $400/week after tax.

This is a fair wage. Why is it fair? Not only is it liveable for a fulltime job, but it also happens to just be the bloody award, to which employers are legally bound to, apparently.

But you are very unlikely to be paid this in the meatbombing game.

However, you should be paid something, I even heard a rumour once that it is supposed to be a profession?

Even if it $60 a day, food, beer, first chop at the new students etc. etc.

Just my thoughts.

Boney

Looking for intelligent comment, looks like QNIM won't be able to post?