PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - An SAA Cadet Story
View Single Post
Old 15th Jun 2004, 03:43
togabutton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Previously Disadvantaged???

Its evident that there is lots of bitterness out there with regard to the cadet program. Not surprising though is it? Lets look at a few things. PREVIOUSLY DISADVANTAGED... Those that I met in Adelaide during my short time there did not appear to fit that label, not if for example private school education constitutes previously disadvantaged.
It was bad enough that the cadets flooded the local regional carriers thus depriving struggling pilots of jobs and a means of building experience for the be all and end all of SA aviation, SAA. No, then they had to be placed in the contract company that I was flying for too, to gain experience. Now that pissed me off when I had 6 months earlier been told at my SAA interview that I was, I QUOTE "buggering around in the bush flying contracts." Nope, sorry, but I don't support the cadet scheme.

The other posters have it right. Many of us have spent a personal fortune getting licences and ratings, risked our lives in war zones, slept in miserable places where there has been no electricity, questionable food and water, malaria etc. etc., voluntarily separated from our families for months at a time, all just to get the so called hours and experience in the hopes of cracking a nod for an interview! Okay, off my soapbox, but they (the cadets) don't appreciate what's being handed to them on a plate. I salute those of you who have persevered and pushed through to the end.

Many years back at my SAA interview at the age of 28, I was told that I am too old to ever fly for an airline. I was also asked why it took so long to get a PPL (1 year). "Because I paid for it myself via odd jobs and flew when I had some money." HUH!?" "Well Sir, I did not have a big bag of money under my bed!"

Anyhow, I did not let the "ADVICE" given to me by the distinguished gentlemen at SAA put me off and went on to fly all the aircraft I have wanted to fly in a number of countries. The latter has meant riding a financial nightmare and being on the bones of my butt most of the time, but fortunately it has worked out. Thanks to the door being slammed in my face, I went elsewhere and happen to fly for one of the world's best airlines!

I definitely was not ADVANTAGED, nor were many others who went on to achieve their dreams, so I can relate to where some of the anger and frustration comes from.

What's next, a cadet program to train previously disadvantaged Haitians so that we can further contribute to peace in the Carribean?