PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - An SAA Cadet Story
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2004, 17:53
ettamakwetta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hi there Everybody

I think the whole reason they originally wanted to move the training to Australia, is to avoid that students feel discriminated against.

I also applied for the Cadet Training scheme about 8 or 9 years ago, but they failed myself and a friend of mine in the first round, due to our mathematics supposedly not being up to scratch. This is ironic, seeing that I was top of my engineering class at university. They might as well have told me that they were implementing an affirmative action policy, because that is OK by me. There is was, concerned for ages, because I thought my maths was too rubbish.

The fact is that life is not fair, and you take the chances that you can get. I am now working for Airbus and involved with great things I thought I would never be involved with. We're currently testing A380 components (don't want too be too specific), and was involved with the design of a Heading Controller for taxiing on our aircraft.

In the end I think I probably lacked the passion for flying, because I think you will put up with a lot of nonsense if you really want something. Engineering is my thing, and I really love it. Maybe our student should try another career.