PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Triple A = Triple the cost
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2004, 17:14
Ikkle!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to AAA with a plan to complete my CPL/Multi/IR with them. I so so so wish i'd completed my entire flying training at Bournemouth, instead I only had the great pleasure of completing my IR there.

I would be approx £10k better off and not have gone through, what seems to be a common trait, of low confidence and great stress, both financially and mentally.

Here's a few things from there website that are contradictory to what I experienced:

Personally Tailored Training Programme
This was used against me. I remained in full time employment, hardly likely to give up work in-view of the market place! I flew on my days off, not ideal but realistic,- this was very much used to extend my training at great expense. Hence a £20,000 CPL/Multi - outrageous!

Also the psychological rubbish of AAA's version of a pilot profile which I was taught time and time again was completely unrealistic and so out of touch. During my PPL training, I was taught the crab-angle crosswind land method, the most common I think and I was very happy with it. My AAA instructor insisted I did the wing down method because "that's what the airlines will want you to do" - I thought this rather odd and when I asked an A320 captain, the reply was "Yep! The passengers just love coming down the approach with a wing down!! - who taught you that cr*p?"

A Friendly but Thorough Approach to Training
Friendly NO! - Thorough, YES - about 25 extra hours minimum thorough. To quote one of the instructors who told me "We have our reputation to think about" It was all about maintaining the pass rate.

Of our highly qualified career instructors who only have your best interests in mind
Ok - I'm crying now!!!!

On request we can readily put you in touch with Students who have recently attended at Triple “A” Flying
Do it, Do it, Do it!!! Oh please do it!!!.

As this was my first experience of professional flying training, I assumed this teaching style was the norm. I didn't know any better. Please, please, any wannabies at the stage of choosing a flying school do so with extreme caution, not based on pass rates - speak to past students - ignore the sales speak - and make sure your comfortable with the environment.