PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone flown (or fly) the Huey?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2004, 14:33
helmet fire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oz Huey Gunship Retires

It is my sad, sad duty to inform you that yet another aviation icon bites the dust. The Australian Defence Force is retiring their Huey Gunships from service this month, and is downgrading to the Tiger next year.

The last flights of the UH-1H Gunship will be conducted as a heavy fire team (3 acft) flypast over Brisbane city on the 25th of June, culminating in a flypast of it's current home at the Army Aviation Centre in Oakey, SE QLD on the 26th June at sunset - all gunned up with the mod 21 system for the last time.

After landing, there will be a HUGE p1ss up for anyone and everyone involved with the UH-1H Gunship over it's more than thirty five years of operation in Australian service. That includes Maintenance, armament fitters, gun plumbers, door gunners, loadmasters, pilots, ground handlers, admirers, etc etc etc.

The first gunship mission in Australian UH-1H Gunships was flown in April 1969 in Vietnam, and the pilot of that mission will be there (so will his tail number)! The Huey continued to fulfil the AFS (Aerial Fire Support) role with the Airforce until 1991 when it was transferred to the Army, and has continued right through until this month - the last shoot being in May 2003.
That, I believe, now makes the Phillipine Army the last remaining operator of the Huey Gunship.

If you want to be there for the final moments (and beer), contact 171 operational Support Squadron in Australia on 07 4691 7011.

And I will be there too!! Brew Up. Mr Magoo, I'm in the right kind of mood.