Thread: Bell 212
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2004, 14:07
helmet fire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well Pfan, you did say:
I'd love to be proven wrong.
so I am only helping you out here.....

Your side ways flight example does not occur the way you have stated. In summary, you basically said that:
from the hover, translate left. Hold very steady cyclic. The helicopter would not roll back to the right, it
would tend to bank more to the left as the speed increased
I hope that summarises your thoughts.

I think, however, that you will find the opposite. As you translate left, you have to continually feed in more left cyclic to keep translating left, and this occurs for two reasons. Flapback is the main culprit at these speeds (but we are not going to go into that) and the di-hedral effect as a result of the right yaw you have created (but this is insignificant at such low speeds (hence the 212 fin addition). When you try to fly this tomorrow, please do not friction the cyclic because I think you will need to feed in significant LEFT cyclic to maintain left drift (right yaw). Your comment that:
I would find that the helicopter would tend to bank more to the left as the speed increased
is ar5e about. You will only increase speed as a result of increasing the bank. The bank does not increase because of the speed increase.

Unfortunatley in the next two weeks I will only have access to a SCAS stabilised machine, thus I wont be able to convince you of a flught test result. So, I am awaiting your experiments.