PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buying and insuring a car in Florida
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2004, 12:02
Keygrip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
System, at the moment, varies slightly with different localities but some offices are open six days a week, some of them five days.

My local is closed Sunday and Monday.

You can normally book an appointment for a specific time - but will probably still have to queue. Waiting time at my local office is now some three to four hours (if no appointment made) - and this was just for a licence re-issue, no test.

The day will likely involve a bunch of crazy questions from somebody sat at a computer terminal (this is not part of the test - just the information gathering).

Then the written examination - most places are doing this as a multi-guess format on a computer with a touch screen (for those who cannot write [no - I'm not joking]).

The answers to all the questions (20 road signs and 20 'Rules of the road') can be found in the Florida Drivers Handbook - rules rarely change, so this outdated version will be sufficient.

Then the drive around the car park.

Another wait in the office - another question and answer session by the information gatherers - then a photograph by electronic camera. Sign your name on an electronic pad and you will eventually be given a temporary driving permit - valid for 30 days.

If all goes well, the poeple in Tallahassee (Florida capitol city) will eventually send you a credit card sized driving licence with your photo and signature on it. Total cost $20.

This full licence will be valid until your visa expiry date.

Where are you going in Florida to do all this? Ormond Beach, Orlando, Ft. Pierce, Stuart or Naples?