PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EU / USA open skies negotiations
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2004, 11:20
akerosid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

So, we're left with the (very predictable) situation whereby access to Heathrow is the stumbling block. The Americans are expected to give access to their domestic routes, which is simply not a runner, in an election year of all years and - please correct me if I'm wrong - everyone else is held up until LHR is sorted out.

The sides appeared to have been close together a few weeks back, but we now seem to be back at Square One. This makes it extremely unlikely that a deal can be done by the 25th June, as was hoped for; hopefully, individual governments can reach some deals, but the Americans are thought to feel that negotiations with the EU as a unit is better than negotiations with every side.

My understanding, originally, was that we were aiming for a situation where all European and all US carriers could fly between any two points in each region, i.e. unlimited transatlantic flights. While I understand that LHR access is a sticking point, surely this is something the US and UK governments could hammer out between themselves, or will the deal on LHR be expected to allow all European carriers to fly from LHR? Surely there is some way this obstacle, which has long been anticipated, can be separated?