PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best Online Booking Engine For Multi Stop UK - US Trip
Old 14th Jun 2004, 10:13
Globaliser
Too mean to buy a long personal title

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
What I'd recommend is just using one of the normal search engines (Travelocity, Opodo or - my flawed favourite - the ITA Software demo) to get an idea of what the fares would be like doing it as one ticket.

Then price some straight returns to your gateway(s) - open jaw if necessary - to see what the differential is.

If the multi-leg itinerary is significantly more expensive, as it often is, then I'd recommend buying the trans-Atlantics separately from the US domestics. You'll then have the freedom to choose your airlines, routes, service levels () and prices for all the domestic legs. This will allow you to use some of the low-fare domestics in the US, if appropriate, whose service levels are now paradoxically often higher than the major airlines'.

Things to watch out for in the ITA Software demo are:-
(a) you must put a UK city (LON will do) for the sales point, to get SITI fares which are usually the best for ex-UK international tix;
(b) it doesn't display all airlines - I think that US is one of the notable absent members for trans-Atlantics;
(c) its tax calculations are hopeless, so use the base fares as comparisons;
(d) in the detailed price breakdowns, base fares are usually shown in NUC (which is I think in effect the same as USD), so you will need to do a currency conversion to get the GBP base price.

SITI = Sold Inside [country of origin], Ticketed Inside
NUC = Notional Units of Calculation/Construction