PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cosford Airshow
Thread: Cosford Airshow
View Single Post
Old 14th Jun 2004, 10:07
JimmyTAP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was there as well and I agree with some of the above. I've been to many airshows (my first was Leuchars 1971) but this was my first time at Cosford. I thought the logistics part , parking, entry/exit was pretty well organized ( much better than Fairford for example).

I agree that the static display was a bit grim but I can appreciate that there is not a lot of space for a static display and many aircraft can't land there anyway. You could argue that the best static display is in the splendid museum anyway.

I did think it did have the atmosphere of an old "At home" day and I thought there was fairly decent RAF content compared to recent years with good displays by the C-130J, Sea King, Tornado, Harrier and Jaguar.
The Typhoon was however "pathetic" and the disappointment could be felt in the crowd " Was that it".
I think the UK taxpayer deserves better than this. The project has been subject to lots of flak recently and this sort of display (and I use the word reluctantly) doesn't help.
The displays just before of the Grob Tutor and Bucker were much better and much appreciated in the crowd.
The amount of civilian content is a fact of life these days but I also remember the days when the only civilian aircraift were the pleasure flights or perhaps Ferranti's Meteor!

Another rant complete bar the shouting

JT