PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates emergency landing in JNB
View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2004, 09:44
Cap 56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silky

So again the mention of 1.2VS is incorrect along with the statement that you can slow and A340 to 60kts on rev only...... cant wait to see the rubbish you produce on that one.....

To argue about the difference between 1.18 or 1.2 Vs is nonsense.

White Night stated himself that it can be done on reversers only, actually you do it on a daily basis. I am quite sure you do not brake alot on the A 340 unless on a very hot day. Realizing that, is what I call airmanship and you carry this with you.

Definitely on a 4400 m runway, no need to touch the brakes until below 60 kts.

Either they completely crippled the gear on T/O, if not they must have done a very bad job on the return.

The key issue on the return for landing is lack of situation awareness (aircraft performance capability) and very likely poor handling.

An approach followed by Go/Around was definitely an option (to asses the condition of the gear BEFORE making the decision on dumping.

The A 340 made it very easy on them.

Only an increment of 10 kts between full flap and t/o flap and approach speeds of around 1.2 Vs.

I call that a plane that does not get you in trouble unless you do it yourself !

As I said before, two questions are important when assessing multiple failures.

1. What is my touch down groundspeed going to be?

2. What do I have to stop and how am I going to use it and why ?

By this I am not making a statement different the EK CRM manual:

Share Analyze Decide Implement Evaluate

(Well know within EK as "Sadie the cleaning lady"), the difference between my suggestion and the EK CRM Model is that I think my method is more pragmatic.

You can not make a decision on what your touchdown groundspeed is going to be unless you have thought about :

(Flaps, Weight, pressure altitude, sped additive, temperature and wind conditions) the same reasoning for the other question

CRM is a good tool but you have to know what you are looking for.

Share …..what ?
Decide……What ? etc

Would they have come to another conclusion, acted differantely?

Last edited by Cap 56; 13th Jun 2004 at 10:16.