PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vortex Ring / Settling with power (Merged)
Old 12th Jun 2004, 20:00
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nick,
I know and respect your credentials, but at the end of the day, you are, just like the rest of us, human and not 'perfect'

I am afraid this thread could end up like the one we all had with you regarding "ground effect" and the endless arguments and counter arguments for and against. I didn't (like so many others) believe your explanation then and I most certainly don't believe your explanation of VRS now

I support Mostafa 100% here, and will defend my understanding of VRS to the hilt.

VRS is NOT RECOVERABLE, not now, not never. There is only ONE reason you can survive fully developed VRS and that is IF the helo falls out of the aerodynamic condition it finds itself in of its own accord (and provided it does that before you run out of bernoulli's

VRS is where most if not all of the blade is 'STALLED'. The pilot may have initiated an auto but the stalled areas along the blade (innermost section near the root and the tip) now grow to envelope most of the surface of the blade. When that happens, the helo will accelerate to excessive ROD's as the rotor tumbles inside its own dirty air.

I believe VRS requires some fwd airflow over the blades to initiate it (induced airflow etc), therefore your statement about VRS in hovers being impossible might carry some truth...I'd need to check my notes.

Let the show begin.