PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vortex Ring / Settling with power (Merged)
Old 12th Jun 2004, 18:37
dammyneckhurts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a newbie here I had no idea how many threads there were on VR wow...or should I say I(incipient)VR....

Lots of talk/arguments about defining exactly what it is, and how dangerous it is etc. Not a lot of tales/advise from people that actually experience lowlevel IVR on a somewhat regular basis unfortunately.

Nick: You mention that you have to have an appreciable rate of descent for VR, I would like to add that you get the same effect hovering on the side of a mountain with big up flowing air. This is a borrowed quote from an esteemed college on another site...."5 mph wind moving vertically up the slope is equivalent to a 440 ft per min rate of decent" I haven't done the math myself but as many a mountain driver will attest, there are many days you just cant go into pads perched in a big upflow area for this reason...and 5 mph is nothing! Nick you have a massive amount of info on the subject, thanks for sharing it !

Steve:.....My box of Cubans is still unopened....you have to actually get up in the air to put them to use! Just when I thought it couldn't get any wetter the sky opened up again yet again.

DMNH