PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Warned Of Heathrow Union Battle.
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2004, 00:13
sirjfp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow, things are getting a little heated here.! I think I may be well qualified to make a comment having been a long term flight attendant/ cabin manager with Ansett , now an ambulance paramedic in his early second year of dedicated univertsity study ,as well as being on the road as a practicing paramedic.

Even when I am fully qualified after 3 years , unless I do heaps of overtime ( usually involving 14 hour night shifts ) my wage will still come up about 15 grand a year light of what I earned as a C/M with Ansett . When I tell my fellow paramedics what I was earning in my previous occupation they are well and truly gobsmacked. To add to that , my Q.F friends were earning more than me!

I am enjoying my life outside the industry and find it interesting to look into it from another perspective.

I have pondered whether or not my new profession is not paid as much as it shoud be , or whether my previous occupation was overpaid , particularly given the qualification and skill base it required. I suspect the latter is the vase

I know that some F/A's out there will rabbit on about the stresses of dealing with the general public, being there for emergency reasons etc etc, but compared to what I am doing now that was bloody easy !

I think that the wage scales at V.B and jet* are probably more indicative of the true worth of the flight attendant role.

Although it seems rough that Q.F is seeking offshore ( read cheaper ) labour overseas , I can fully understand them wanting to do it when the old Q.F wage scales are so high in comparison to other aussie based airlines.

I was also a bit shocked when I last visited my brother in Hong Kong , where his business is now based , that he has stopped using Q.F internationally , though still flies business domestically here with them , because of indifferent and inconsistent service levels. He spends heaps on travel ( as much as you argus)
He is not much to complain much - he did that once and it made no difference . He just quietly took his business elsewhere

I can honestly say that for 20 years at ansett , and I did suspect it at the time , that I was underworked and overpaid . By crikey it was good while it lasted .... I should have realised that nothing that good will last forever !

Just my 2 bob's worth from both sides of the fence!