PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - French ATC strike
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2001, 22:43
squeaker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

poor ol' french atc getting a bashing here, perhaps a few words in support:
1) I'm not sure who's striking this time, but ususally it's the support technicians/engineers who down tools, not the controllers, and they usually manage to pull the plugs on a few bits of vital kit just before they leave! Nice!
2)The French language thing, which I agree is very dangerous, is something forced upon them by law, not just a whim as it is in Spain/Italy/Greece etc. There is a whole French government department devoted to the protection of the French Language, and this edict comes from them. I believe that Air France pilots objected and even unilaterally tried to speak English to French ATC, but were warned against it by their management! They also dictate, for example, that at least 50% of French broadcast radio music is French Language, which is why nobody listens to it!
3) When you're flogging home after that night TFS, which ATC is it that generally gives you the level you want, and a direct routing to the other side of their FIR?

Yes, French ATC are a pain at times, but no worse than some and better than many IMHO.
In case you think this is one sided, I'd like to point out that their beer is cr@p. Thank you.