PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vortex Ring / Settling with power (Merged)
Old 10th Jun 2004, 18:04
dammyneckhurts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gentlemen,

Nice to know my ramblings are appreciated!

As Thomas Coupling says some of these concepts are well above the student level when it comes to actually demonstrating it, but none the less it's a crucial skill for some segments of the industry. What the answer is I have no idea....it's unfortunate that we have such a huge void in our skill level when we come out of flight school, and what we need for the average customer.

I just would like to offer that there is a huge difference between an intentional Incipient (thanks for the correction Thomas) Vortex Ring Demonstration at altitude, and the reality of what happens in some work environments where a driver is working in conditions conducive to V.R. on a daily basis.

I have yet to experience unintentional IVR at any altitude above 400', much less 2000' or 4000 '.

It seems that most students come away from flight school with the basic understanding of VR and how to get out of it so I guess its safe to say that instructors have done their job....?

If pilots have the tools to avoid and recognize low level VR, they wont need the recovery skills they learned at 4000' as often.

If I were to demonstrate it to someone I would most certainly do it at altitude, but once the recovery technique is mastered, it is equally important to have a clear understanding of avoidance and recognition in the working world.

Steve76....I am in Saskatchewan doing a lot of couch surfing and spending way too much time on this darn puter!

Signed;

Prayin for sun