PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus goes shopping
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2004, 17:33
akerosid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MarkD, I don't agree that 2008 would be the earliest possible expansion date. If the ending of the stopover is to be phased (which is the best the Shannonsiders can hope for - and not at all certain), it would start with reducing the DUB:SNN ratio from 1:1 to 2:1. If this happened, EI would be able to double the number of DUB immediately, which would allow three more dailies.

We could find out whether this will happen, as early as Saturday. Obviously, if there's bad news (for SNN), the govt will make damn sure it doesn't come out while the European voting is still going on!

This is the one hole I see in the Boeing possibility; clearly, they need new planes and quick. I think both manufacturers will fall over themselves to provide these, in the clear knowledge that EI is expanding and ambitious. The manufacturer which can prove that it (and its acft) are best places to support and facilitate that growth will have a definite advantage. The mention of 2008 does seem, to a certain extent, designed to put the frighteners up Airbus and the recent loss of the ANZ deal will undoubtedly have helped. However, as I've said, the 7E7 will be a spectacularly economical and innovative aircraft and EI should go for the newest and best available. Boeing will be anxious to get new 7E7 customers and an existing A332 operator would be ideal for their 7E7 plans. To cut a long story short, both manufacturers will be falling over themselves to woo Aer Lingus, like never before.