PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you give it all up?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2004, 10:34
b025053

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My reference was to those users who offer there opinions on "our" situation as wannabees and who promptly tell us that, if they had there time again they wouldn't spend it in either L/RHS and skip the ballache it took them to achieve it. I take there point, but would risk it to make my own opinion.

There are those professionals like PP who always offer the now predictable and warmly received positive replies to flight training and the rocky road ahead!-PP we thank you!

However, going back to the thread and veering from sideline details. Surely, what with increased costs and requirements folk are opting to stay away from professional flight training, which can only be good for those who sacrafice everything to achieve it.
Forcasts show, to the horror of environmentalists (or is that mentalists?) that air travel is set to increase drastically- the government supporting that with extensions to stanstead and other airports. The figure of 500M by 2020 stays in my head. Now short of a woldwar or some nutter anually flying a passenger jet into a skyscraper, things will get better.

How though, will the demand for pilots be reflected by the airlines? What we need is figures, showing how many people graduate year on year from FTO's with fATPLs and nice shiney wings, how many people, experianced crews sit patiently in the pool and how many crews are required in total by UK companies.
Surely, once the pool of standbys has been absorbed, airlines and companies will be forced to taking on low houred straight out of flight school second officers.

So planning training now may not be such a bad idea. Sure once its all over theres going to be heartache at not having the job and your gonna go back to whatever it was you did before, but maybe just maybe itl work out. That said, thats subject to training not changing between your graduation and the big demand period. Typical of the airlines to go after people with shiney passes than those sat idle in the accounts office for three years