PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doncaster Finningley - South Yorks International..?
Old 10th Jun 2004, 08:05
egnxema

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a thought.

Both MOL (FR) and RW (EZY) have spoken widely of a rapidly looming price war.

Most aviation commentors have said they would expect FR and EZY to be survivors, maybe bruised, but definately living. The mortally wounded and dead are predicted to be from among bmibaby, MyTravellite, FlyBE, and Thomsonfly.

Although I wish all at DSA every success I would say don't count your chickens til they have hatched.

True TUI are one of the worlds biggest travel firms, but their Tour Operator Empire is not there to support a very small fledgling LoCo - should Thomsonfly start to vent too much money they WILL paint Britannia on the side of those planes and shut Thomsonfly.com down faster than you could butter your bottom and call yourself a biscuit.

Although all of us on PPRuNe have a vested interest in aviation, and I respect all those who are interested in planes and flying, it has to be said that no amount of wishing will make your local regional airport bounce higher than all the others and suddenly become a major airline hub.

Show me one young Aircraft Enthusiast that doesn't hope that their nearby regional airport will one day be awash with Intercontinental flights, 747s, departures to every US gateway imaginable.

These are dreams - the reality is MONEY. People invest in airlines to make MONEY. Tour Operators re-invent part of their Charter Airline to make MONEY - if the money is not there they will look to make money in other ways.

It would be fantastic to work for a carrier that simply LOVEs flying, a crew that simply LOVEs serving customers, into airports that simply are determind to offer point to point flights to scores of destinations just for the LOVE of it.

Truth is LOVE makes little money.

If Thomsonfly turn DSA into Ryanair's STN then brilliant - well done to them. But until they do don't start getting yourself a new camera and binoculars - you will only be seeing planes in your dreams.