PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Budget flights turn expensive
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2004, 03:40
Blip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's an interesting concept ditzyboy. As apacau points out, if you had passengers unlucky enough that their queue was slower than the others for whatever reason (and there could be many), and they miss out by a couple of minutes, I'd be calling security!

It reminds me of how the management of the Qantas check-in in Sydney has evolved. For a long time there was one queue for each check-in counter. I used to observe passengers getting quite obviously annoyed if they were stuck in a slow line while others around them breezed through to the front of their line. Quite often it seemed to be not the fault of the check-in staff. It's just that some people had many pieces of baggage, or they were part of a group, or whatever. I used to think that it would have been better to have one line for each PAIR of check-in counters so that if one had a difficult check-in, the other would keep the line moving.

Anyway they've gone the way of Melbourne and Brisbane. There is just one big queue. When you get to the front you're called to any of the ten or so check-in counters - whichever one is ready for the next passenger. Much less frustration!!

Just for your info I found this website that has some mathematical formulas relating to queues. http://www.crowddynamics.com/Queueing/mathematics.html

So there is a mathematical science behind good queue management. I reckon the science of queue psycology would be quite interesting too. I know not much is said between queuers, but if you could hear the little voices inside their heads...

Last edited by Blip; 10th Jun 2004 at 04:02.