PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEMS - Regulations and saving life
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2004, 16:18
What Limits

There are no limits

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well done the CAA

At last, some good may have come out of the Belgrano (For our overseas viewers, this is the CAA building at London, Gatwick).

For years our HEMS pilots have been forced to make dangerous approaches to many landing sites in this country. I believe that Birmingham Children's is one of these in that you have to land in the street outside, it first having been closed by the Police.

I have never landed there but I have landed at Selly Oak, which must rate in the Top Ten Worst. Having flown most of the HEMS aircraft in this country, I have my own hit list, do you?

Its about time the CAA forced the hand of the Bliar Government. Ultimately the only way forward is a helipad with DIRECT ACCESS to A & E / ER. Too many times have I had to wait with a VSI patient while an Ambulance turns up to take my patient from the helipad to the A & E Department. Why are we still doing this?

Unfortunately most Governments (especially this one) have a tombstone mentality. So children will have to die before something gets done. Lets hope its not mine or yours.

Remember that lifesaving advice "Never let emotion get in the way of good judgement."