PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Warned Of Heathrow Union Battle.
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2004, 10:38
Argus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Q-Tee

.... and Argus the same relates to you ) - sorry luv, but your opinions on QF cabin crew are so emotive, that you obviously have more than just a 'disgruntled customer' opinion.....no normal person would react so vehemently to a group of 8,000 service staff ----- it just isn’t a logical reaction...... simple as that .... and don’t even try and claim it is .... no-one with any sense would believe you ...... is it that you were;

declined by QF HR for a position somewhere in QF ?;

A 'They could never be better than us' ex-Ansett staff memberb ?;

A 'lets jump on 'em' some-obscure-QF-department manager'
I'd decided not to post any further comments about poor QF flight service on this thread because the discussion had moved on.

But, yet again, in the absence of any reasoned argument to the contrary, you try to bolster your argument by personal attacks and abuse. Sorry 'luv' - nice try but it won't wash.

I have never applied for an HR position with any airline. I am not, nor have I ever been employed by any airline. I have never applied to any airline for any position whatsoever.

I take great exception to having my sanity questioned by some one who apparently lacks even the most basic of professional qualifications to make such a judgment. My career history is set out in my personal profile which is available for you to read - which it appears you haven't taken the trouble to do so before engaging your typing fingers. My background and current vocation is clearly displayed and it is mischievous of you to suggest otherwise. There is an old crew room adage - "Engage brain before opening mouth". I commend it to you.

I am a regular business traveller flying business class for work purposes to North America and the UK, as well as between east coast Australian cities. I make between 15-18 overseas trips per year. In FY 2002/03, I spent almost $A82,000 of my hard earned money on international air travel. In the QANTAS scheme of things, that might be small bickies. But for me, it's a lot of time spent in aeroplanes to get to places where I have to perform to earn my living. Ergo, getting to my destination in good shape is important.

I thus feel qualified to offer a customer’s point of view.

As I've said before, because of the appalling service I, my wife and employees have received in the past, I will not fly with QANTAS, especially on long haul routes.

It's not because of the flight deck crew (some of whom are my former colleagues) or engineering staff. It's because in my experience based over many long haul flights, the standard of QF cabin service is way below what the competition offers.

I work for myself. I stand or fall on the quality of service I provide for my clients, most of whom are satisfied with what I do. If they aren't, I lose their business. Thus, I’m under constant pressure to deliver what my clients want. I personally don’t have a problem with this – it’s what makes the commercial world go round.

When I'm paying top dollar for Business Class travel to/from Europe and North America, I expect to receive in flight service that represents value for my hard earned money. Unfortunately, when compared to the likes of Cathy, Lauda (Austrian), JAL, Air Canada and even BA, QANTAS doesn't get to first base.

I don't expect forelock tugging servitude from cabin staff. But I do expect basic manners, a customer focused approach to reasonable requests and flight attendant availability throughout the flight/sector. In my experience, QANTAS fails on all three counts. Rather than getting on with the job and maintaining the revenue flow, the Australian based cabin crew are more interested in preserving the Public Service attitude of "rights", "entitlements" and "hard won" employment conditions.

So, I've voted with my feet. I don't want to see Australians out of work. But I'm not prepared to support an organisation that can't deliver what I want for the money I pay, when others can. It's called 'commercial reality' - something that apparently grates with the Australian Services Union and some of its QF members who seem to think that punters like me should be compelled to put my money into its members' benolevence without any corresponding consideration for a job well done. Sorry 'luv', no can do. If others are prepared to do so, then the best of luck to them. But not yours truly - until you and your colleagues lift your game.

we aren't, there are some fantastic crew in QF --- unfortunately we are tarred by a handful of terrible crew ......... but we have 36,000 employees, some 8,500 are cabin crew .... so there are bound to be some 'bad-eggs'..... we all acknowledge that .... it is up to management to get rid of them ......... the majority do well (considering the crap product & crew-levels we have to work with )
I'm glad that you at last acknowledge that some of your colleagues might fail the 'attitude test' that was so eloquently articulated by the late Sir Reginald Ansett in his "Old Boilers" speech some 25 years ago. But what a pity you then attempt to pass the buck to some one else to deal with the problem. While it may indeed be management's ultimate responsibility to sack the 'bad eggs', you, your well meaning colleagues and your Association could offer to assist management in identifying and dealing with those of your professional brethren who can't cut today's mustard. You might be able to even negotiate an outcome that improves on
... the crap product & crew-levels we have to work with
I wish you good luck in your negotiations with Mr Dixon. But you'll need to demonstrate a significant improvement in attitude and customer service before you'll get me and mine to strap a QF aircraft to our backsides in the foreseeable future - not because of flight deck and engineering skills, but because of my experiences at the hands of cabin staff who clearly don't have their heart in what they do – luv.

May I respectfully suggest that, rather than just whinge here in an anonymous forum, you and your colleagues do some research into what actually constitutes Worlds' Best Practice cabin service, as practiced by some QF competitors. When you can then see why I (and others) put our custom elsewhere, you'll be better equipped to negotiate with QF management the necessary changes in work practices and attitudes to match the competition. Who knows, you might even get a pay rise, too.

And then you might see me again luv - and with no apology for the familiarity!

Last edited by Argus; 9th Jun 2004 at 12:13.