PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iberia arbitrator links profits, productivity to pilot pay boost
Old 22nd Jul 2001, 18:21
The Guvnor

Cool

Thanks for the intelligent, reasoned position statement SeaSunSandFly - it's a pity that others here can't do the same!

OK, so how do you suggest getting around the traditional blocks on both sides, vis:

Pilots: Management are out to screw us/pay us as little as possible; and

Management: Pilots are overpaid and underworked.

I agree that there are a number of airlines where the management is less than scrupulous and/or ethical - but the fact is that the majority of companies are straightforward.

As you know, I have always been very much in favour of good basic pay plus bonuses related to productivity and profit. Some on here think that the profit figures can be manipulated - the fact is that: especially in the case of a publicly quoted company (as most airlines are) anyone who manipulates the accounts will end up counting prison bars rather than profits.

In any case, performance related objectives can be anything - an increase in the number of passengers carried; a decrease in the average cost per ATK or RPK; fuel conservation; ontime performance ... the list goes on.

According to the editorial in the current issue of Flight, the main problem seems to be the union-imposed seniority system which prevents free movement of labour (ie people are loath to move jobs when it means that they will have to start at the bottom of the seniority list again). This means that labour tends to be very inelastic - which is why they tend to be much more confrontational with management than in other industries. There, they could simply pack their bags and go off to greener pastures ... usually under better terms and conditions.

So what's the solution? Tilii as someoner with rather, er, strong opinions - I'm sure you can come up with a viable solution?