PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tailwheel/crosswind advice please!
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2004, 06:47
Aerobatic Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a good thread.

FNG - I was taught to always 3 point the Cap 10, and as you say it can be a bit skittish on a hard runway in a crosswind.

I've only got a few hours on small Jodels (D113 and D119), but it is quite normal to need a bit of brake to keep them straight in a crosswind. The larger ones that I normally fly (D140) are much easier. The Jodel undercarriage is not strong, and a groundloop on a hard runway will very often cause it to fail.

QDM - glad you've found yourself a sloping strip! You're right about it being difficult to do a gentle touchdown - and it's often safer to be firm. It's best to pick your touchdown point from the air, then work out where you need to flare in order to touchdown there. The flare will be a bit higher than normal due to the slope. You can flare at a normal height, keeping the power on as you do so, and then fly up the hill - but it only works on gentle slopes and it makes life difficult. With practice you can touchdown where you want in a 3 point attitude even on quite a steep slope - but it's not always gentle. You need to come and do that mountain flying course!! Funnily enough, the combination of a crosswind and a sloping runway seems to present far less problems than a crosswind on the flat. It may be just psychological, or perhaps it's due to the faster deceleration...