PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Carswell USAF Base, Dallas
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2004, 03:11
hooley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carswell is quite a big base - it's a Naval Reserve Base - which always confused me considering it's miles from the sea, but hey, this is Texas It has a pretty good BX - but it depends what you're used to really. I live about 70 miles east of Carswell and only bother to make the journey about twice a year - prices are not that much cheaper there than a local mall, but you don't pay the 8%-ish sales tax of course. The base itself is closer to Fort Worth and there's a good night out to be had there - just head for the downtown area and you should drop on lucky, if you see what I mean. Carswell's a good way from Dallas though - about an hour from the base to downtown Dallas which is probably a bit far for a taxi. If you do get to go to Dallas for a night out, head for either Addisson if you're posh (I'm not - but I love the place) or Greenville Avenue if you're just into a loud, but fun night. Doesn't really work for me, but I reckon I'm just getting too old!

As for the drive from Dallas down to Austin - hmmmm - less interesting than being dead. It'll take you about 3 to 4 hours and do watch out for the State Troopers - use the cruise control and stick to the limit - or it'll cost you big time (my other & (better?) half can testify to that!). Best advice would be to continue for a further hour's drive south to San Antonio - my favourite place in Texas.

It's getting hot now - about mid 30s c - and most of the severe weather is thankfully over, but it's very humid. Hope you have a good time. I've been here for 3 years and it's been great.

Hooley