PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hewa Bora and UK Foreign Office...
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2004, 15:51
CargoOne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hewa Bora and UK Foreign Office...

First I would like to clarify that in no way I'm looking to bash Hewa Bora, I've never flown them, have no idea regading their operation and maintenance.

Just yesterday I've been looking on UK Foreign Office web site in order to see what it tells about Democratic Republic of Congo (going there for a few days soon), and apart from everything else I've noticed the following:

Air safety

Prospective air travellers should be aware of doubts about the airworthiness of some Congolese and other regionally registered aircraft. British government employees have been advised that there are safety concerns about all DRC domestic airlines and that Hewa Bora may carry fewer risks than other local DRC airlines. But this airline - like all Congolese airlines - does not fully meet ICAO and other international safety standards.

Keeping in mind recent "scandals" regaring airlines banned from different European countries airspace, lack of data interchange between Authorities on this matter etc... How it possible that one official authority (UK Foreign Office) knows Hewa Bora is not ICAO compliant (presumably it based on UK CAA opinion?) but other authority (Belgian CAA) allows them to operate passenger scheduled services out of Brussels?

I'm a little but confused