PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training for the Aged (38)
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2004, 14:04
Charlie Zulu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi John,

It seems to me that you are looking to go either the integrated route or a full time modular route.

Would you mind me asking why?

As you require security for the HSBC bank loan, have you thought about doing the modular route one step at a time as and when you can afford the courses?

For example, save up and pay for your PPL. Then once you have your PPL you can start your ATPL Ground School via Distance Learning (around the £2000 mark excluding CAA fees).

Whilst you're studying for the exams you could be putting money away to pay for an hour building stint over in the USA (100 hours at around $70 an hour for a C152 would be $7000 / £4000 in the States).

Once you have the PPL with 150 hours and ATPL Exams passed you'll be eligible to start your CPL and IR courses. This is were it gets expensive but you can probably get away with both courses for 15K-20K - a lot more attainable in terms of bank loans than 60K would be!

You'll have the same license and it'll only take two to three years and at the same time you'll be working fulltime, thus being able to support yourself all the way through the courses. You may just have to have a couple of months off work at the end for the CPL/IR courses.

By then you'll be around the 41/42 mark which, although you'll be up against younger more experienced people, is still not that old.... I know a couple of people who have landed their first airline jobs around the 40yr mark.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.