PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas pilots charged over 'reckless' takeoff
Old 8th Jun 2004, 12:39
hoss

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Karrank, heres another possibility.

Late night, last sector of a 'big day' doing your best to get back towards schedule. Your parked on a foodlit ramp facing towards the terminal when you briefed(and glanced out of the window at the lights and sock) the lights were on at the time. There is a stuff up on the 'trim sheet' and your waiting an extra 10 mintues, there are some other distractions. Eventually your away, it's an MBZ and this is different but the aerodrome is fairly familiar. As your turning off the ramp for the parallel taxiway you switch the taxi lights on, there aren't many buildings or other lights in the area and all the markings and lights are reflecting from the taxi lighting, your concentration is on keeping the centreline, tonight is a bit harder but you still haven't realised. Remember it's late, it's been a long day and you can't wait to get back. The FO suddenly gets busy talking to and sorting out traffic/clearance on the radio his eyes are 'in' the cockpit as he writes this down, the Captain is thinking about the crappy wx in ML. As they enter the runway the rest of the aircraft lighting is switched on, now it's really bright, they can see lights down the centreline and along the edge all reflecting no worries as they commence the rolling take-off. Everything looks in place so far, tracking the runway centreline, PNF has eyes on the engine instruments and ASI, 'V1....rotate'. As PF rotates and looks outside as part of the scan he now realises something different. The 'big picture' isn't what he expects, ooooops no runway lights in the corner of his eye. Oh well too late now, 'gear up', keep climbing.

I very much doubt they would have gone 'knowingly' without runway lighting. (I like your defence, swh)

Now, if they did. I would have loved to have heard the brief for a return to land, although there is an ILS .

No one is perfect, human error, lessons learn't, FCOM ammendment on it's way, case closed.

Safe flying, hoss

Last edited by hoss; 8th Jun 2004 at 21:55.