PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Talking to traffic in the circuit
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2004, 11:53
Capt. Manuvar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is my view on this debate. A couple of months ago, i was doing T&Gs at an unattended A/G airfield. Inbound aircraft made initial calls but didn't get a response. Some of them then proceeded to ask me for airfield information, I did give them the landing runway and last known QFE. But it got me thinking about the legality of what i have done. For example, if i gave someone a wrong QFE and they busted overlying CAS, would I be responsible? On the other hand, there is the need to want to help your fellow aviator. I do agree that there are a few people who misuse the radio, like one pilot who kept persistently trying to ask me for airfield info while i was dodging a tree on short finals. But pilot to pilot communication is sometimes necessary. When you have aircraft with different performance in the circuit it is not unusual for pilots to misjudge the positions of other aircraft in the circuit. In situations like this a short to the point radio call will do no harm. RT is a safety. As for those who insist on sticking to standard RT, The most important rule in avaition is that rules can be broken in the interest of safety.