PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - London Metropolitan University
View Single Post
Old 8th Jun 2004, 07:56
GusHoneybun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FDG,

Started doing the DL with London Guildhall (later to morph into London Met). The notes are very comprehensive, and some would probably say (quite rightly) wordy. The level the notes are pitched to is more in line with a degree course, rather than a professional one. All the information you need is in the notes, but you have to read all the background and superfluous info to get to the nuts and bolts. Great if you have a spare 6 months and no other distractions as if you could understand ever page of the Guildhall notes, not only would you breeze the exams, you should also be able get a job teaching the ATPL's as well.
As a result of this, I could not get into studying the notes by DL and went full time. And what a difference it made. With a full time lecturer to highlight the important parts and also provide an explanation to the background info as well, this helped me no end, I even found the course enjoyable!!! Most of the lecturers there are knowledgable and keep the lessons moving at a good pace (and some not so good). The learning environment is much more like school with rows of desk and whiteboard waffle, however as I spent most of my yoof learning that way found the style quite familiar.

Anyway, my advice. If you have to do DL, go through Bristol as their notes are concise and well written, have a good multimedia suite. Their admin and teaching staff are incrediably helpful (and knowledgable which helps) even to people from other schools. London Met need to cut down on the waffle to become a serious player in the DL market