PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Code Sharing vs Star Alliance
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2004, 17:45
JerryMaguire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Code Sharing vs Star Alliance

Hi guys,

Was just wondering the difference between Star Alliance and Code sharing.

I know that the Star Alliance is the largest airline network in the world but....

1st cut, I guess aside from earning extra frequent flier miles and getting into airport lounges, star alliance members get priority booking and baggage handling for the gold members too. That's so much for the flying consumer.

However, I just thought that to the airliner industry strongmen themselves, connecting flights are the most important ain't it? Code sharing achieves that I would assume.

Reason why I ask is that I'm sure being a member has its privileges but of coz it cost to be a member too so was wondering what are the drawbacks of being in the network, ie any rulings or restrictive regulations to stick to which might not be so optimum for the airlines?

Oh I forgot to include the existence of Oneworld alliance, probably the 2nd biggest airline network including some of the top airlines like Giant British Airways which will "manipulate" London Heathrow T5 soon and Airtran champion Cathay Pacific.

No doubt being in an alliance instead of in code share will increase the enmity between airlines rite?

Further there must be some strange strategic reasons why various airlines choose from the available alliances.

Comments pls?