PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tailwheel/crosswind advice please!
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2004, 13:49
Monocock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before I start I do not profess to be an expert on this subject.....

but....

I usually find that the easiest time to keep the a/c striaght is just after touchdown when the airspeed over the rudder is still relatively high. I usually concentrate at this point in lining up part of the cowling with something at the end of the runway and fixating on it. The tiniest swing can be noticed using this method and counteracted very quickly.

If the aircraft is running nice and straight at this point it is easier to control as you enter the "loop speed zone". As the airspeed decreases over the rudder it becomes progressively useless and you have no choice but to rely solely on the tailwheel for directional control. It is at this point that my fixation on an object in the distance is even more pronounced and my feet are ready for a sharp dab of indivifual brake if there is a known X-wind. Do not be afraid to dab a single brake but make sure it is literally just a dab. If it is for too long the swing will start the other way and you might be better to close your eyes from her on in!

I was taught that 3 quick jabs are far better than a "sideways inducing prolonged one" and it seems to work ok for me.

I fall into the "not done it YET" category although i've nearly been there a couple of times in my short tailwheel career!!