PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Routing info for pax
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2004, 04:07
rsoman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Rockhound

While I do not deny that you have a valid point , with air travel being so fascinating, let me present a contrary view point from a SLF under whose category I also belong.

I am from India and I fly reasonably frequently over here in the domestic routes mostly on business trips. Due to work requirements my most frequent route is MAA DEL which like DFW ORD has a lot of business traffic.

Now I find it very tedious when I hear " in a few moments from now you will be passing over Hyderabad on the left followed in 20 mins by Nagpur on the right only to find the lights (or shanty towns - depending on whether it is a day or night flight) of Bhopal catching your attention soon after follwed by Agra before landing in Delhi with monotonous regularity every time I fly the sector on the PA. In short for every first timer flying enthusiast on the route there will be on an average fifty frequent flyers and dont you think you should spare some thought for them as well.

Now also keeping in mind the very valid point that this should not kill an enthusaism of an avid aerial spooter, one suggestion which I can think of is something which is followed in these Double Deck sight seeing being busses doing the rounds in London and other cities (my wanderings so far have not taken me to Uncle Sam's territory).
May be a standard commentary of every small town you are flying overhead with attractions like population flora fauna et all can be
given non stop through a pre recorded taped commentary which may be linked with the aircraft's navigation systems. In case of deviation from the standard flight plan the same sight seeing bus approach

due to an unexpected deviation from the standard route this service is temporarily not available will come into play.

Now which airline is going to invest in all these new fangled old fashioned technology for a couple of enthusiasts in these era of cost cutting for survival is a different matter altogether.