PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Take the Gamble ???
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2004, 21:20
kates

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok - not trying to hijack this thread, but a I've been filled with a deep urge to tell you a bit about our (the Swedish) pilot training system.

Don't get me wrong, we are a fully JAR-FCL complient country. However, we do have such a unique thing as CPL (fixed-wing) training completely free of charge through a university and through two upper secondary schools.

Firstly- the uni training consists of two intense years of integrated training resulting in a CPL ME IR MCC and a total of ca 280 hours which of 80 hours is ME time. This is really a first class training program. (If you ask me, probably the best civilan pilot training in the world) - these guys do it all, med. training, fysical training, under water training, cabin training, you name it, they do it)

The airlines (SAS) usually, untill 2001) used to hire grads immediately after graduations and put them thourgh type training.

This course won't cost you nada, nothing - in fact you will even receive study aid (approx., 330 USD on a montly basis) and you can borrow money for housing for a interest rate of 3% - which will be repaid in 25 years. Fantastic - YES, however as you can suspect - the competion is fierce and only some 24 students are accepted each year. The tests are the same as for those who apply for military pilot training (not medical, only appitude).

I also think Danes and Norwegian are allowed to apply for this training.

The other form of pilot training, also free of charge for the student, is carried out by two different upper secondary schools. Two of the three years the young students study at USS are devoted to a course which leads to a basic CPL VFR on a single engine piston a/c. The entry req. are far moore relaxed here (only a aptitude test and class 1 med.). When the students graduate they then can apply to a continuing course of one year - also completely free - which then leads to ME IR and MCC. Some 100 students annually gets accepted to these courses. The tax payers pays them all, even their licencing costs.

This is happening today - when 57 % of this countries pilots are unemployed.

And worst of all - helo pilot training, YOU GET NOTHING FOR FREE, in fact you can't even receive study aid or borrow money for nothing.