PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Take the Gamble ???
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2004, 20:19
Speedbird843

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take the Gamble ???

Dear All,

Firstly let me introduce myself, I am currently 31 and living in the UK. I have a CAA PPL (N) with approx. 80hrs TT. I am at that crossroads in life where I need to decide on my future career.

1. Do I stay in my current employment for the next 30years+ wondering if I could of made the grade commercially?

- or -

2. Do I take the gamble and train for my CPL/IR, MCC, 40 hrs 737 (JOT) training on the new OAT Airline Preperation Program and some £50-£60k debt?

I have been investigating all the relevant schools where I could possibly commence my fATPL training and it does seem OAT is proving to be the one. Obvioulsy the above will only take place on the basis of securing the HSBC Professional Graduate loan.

I have a few questions that I would like some assistance with.

Firstly is there anybody currently on the OAT APP course which is due to harvest its first graduates shortly, that could supply any advice / information? (i.e. how they managed to secure a HSBC loan or how they are finding the course, what do they aim for once completed) etc.

My real concern is finising the course and owing some £60k on a loan which will probably be secured on my house and not being able to find a decent paying career in aviation, don't get me wrong I have spent numerous hours trawling through this website and others reading some of the horror stories and some of the "what dreams are made of" not to be too naive on the whole subject and not to expect my life to pan out exactly how I would ideally hope for.

I have a massive passion and drive for aviation and aspiration to be a commercial pilot, so any assistance that anybody could offer will be much appreciated.

Thank you.