PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Talking to traffic in the circuit
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2004, 08:18
Evo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would personally like to see "mode a" phased out and quickly. and as a start I propose that the CAA ban flight above 1,500feet if you have no Mode Charlie. That way if we see a return with no altitude on our scopes, then we know he should be below 1500ft.
I'm trying to figure out if this is intended seriously or is just a pure troll. I have never seen a convincing argument for not using mode Charlie in the cruise when it is fitted, but it's an odd argument to suggest that a huge portion of the UK fleet be forced down into the weeds so that the 1%, if that, of pilots with TCAS-type systems don't have to bother looking out of the window, safe in the knowledge that their gizmo will pick up all traffic for them. Forcing everything down low is daft, for both safety and noise reasons. Maybe in 2008 you'll have your wish for Mode-S in all aeroplanes, but I rather suspect that even then you'll still need to keep eyes outside when in the open-FIR; i'd be amazed if every microlight, glider and baloon has to have Mode-S, and I remain hopeful that parts of the PFA fleet will be exempt too.

It's also fairly concerning if Cirrus drivers really believe that a midair, in the circuit or elsewhere, is more of a problem for someone else because they "will pull ... CAPS and walk away".