PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates emergency landing in JNB
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2004, 05:12
wagtail23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAP 56

Quote:

Facts:

1. I do not see why the crew would use another Take Off technique on that particular night.

That is not a proven fact: do you know that the crew used a different technique to the one they were taught? Please bear in mind that the training was geared to the A340-500 and so they might have used what they deemed to be the correct technique.

Quote:

2. It was an unreasonable decision to return to that field. It was clear that in doing so, the crew would create another emergency.

So where, in your mind, should the crew have gone under the circumstances? And what was the other emergency they would have created?

It has been said that 3 tyres burst on take off, but did the crew know? The ECAM is not fitted with tyre pressure indications on these aircraft so how would they have known?

I agree that, ON HINDSIGHT, dumping fuel to a lower weight may have been prudent, but again do we KNOW what other factors were involved? No, unless you were there that evening.

While there maybe some factors in the training at Emirates which contributed to the accident, I don't think you, with your seemingly prejudiced opinion of the company, are in a position to FAIRLY criticise the event of that evening.

PS: Having re-read some of the preceeding posts, we all wait with eager anticipation to your solution.