PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automated Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2004, 02:45
Lemurian

Sun worshipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I may add a comment to Scroggs' post.
If one thinks of flying outside the envelope,he is a fool.If he does fly outside the envelope,he will be a dead fool,very probably.
I have now flown airbuses for the past eight years and I love the airplane for its responsiveness,its liveliness and the precision of piloting it provides.
Furthermore,and I really mean it,for any plane maker not to have adopted a windshear protection similar to the one Airbus offers is IMHO downright criminal.

cortilla,
For a real job of accident reporting please refer to Macarthur Job's "Air Disaster",volume 3.pp 11 to 24.Conspiracy theories are only good in good novels.
By the way,below 200 feet,a good pilot would refer to a radio altimeter;lots more accurate than baro pressure with a Mickey mouse QNH setting.
Mr Kilroy very generously forgets to mention that the crew deactivated the alpha floor function,thus preventing an automatic Go around thrust setting with the increase of AoA.
Anybody who has flown high-bypass engined a/c will know that a six second delay from idle to full thrust is common.at 100 kts (which was the speed he was at...),that translates into some 300 m.The length of the display area was just over 600 m.
Let's face it :the pilot was low on energy,low on altitude,low on thrust...the only thing that was high was his attitude,so high he couldn't see the coming forest...he got it all wrong.Anyairplane other than an Airbus would have stalled long before hitting the trees,very probably dissymetrically and the loss of lives would have been a great deal greater.
Closed case.
for you,being slightly to the left of me...Does it mean you are hanging for dear life from my pitot tubes?

Scroggs,
I see you're just about to record your 2000th post.Do I get a beer?

Last edited by Lemurian; 7th Jun 2004 at 01:55.