PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automated Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2004, 15:30
cortilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not saying that you would want to do any of the things mentioned in my previous posts, i'm just saying that you can't. therefore the pilot does not have ultimate control, but the computer does. That's all i've been trying to say in these posts. Crikey this has deviated a bit from my original post.

Oh yeah, i'd love to go on one of them test flights you mentioned. Reckon it'll be a lot of fun

as regards to the mulhouse accident there are two versions to what happened in the crash, the official airbus version (which has been brought into question) and the pilot's version. just put in a quick excerpt. Which one you want to believe is up to you.

"The Black Boxes were taken undamaged from the aircraft 2 hours after the crash, but unfortunately they have been out of control of justice for 10 days, and since May 1998 it is proven that the Flight Data Recorder was substituted during this period. The Lausanne Institute of Police Forensic Evidence and Criminology (IPSC) comes to the conclusion that the Black Boxes used in the trial to declare the pilot guilty are NOT the ones taken from the aircraft.

The aircraft was new, Airbus was waiting for commands, a lack of confidence in the highly computerized aircraft would have meant a commercial disaster - not only for the manufacturer, but also for the French administration, which has a share in the European Airbus consortium.

The Official Version
The French minister of transportation (Louis Mermoz), the company (Air France) and the aircraft manufacturer (Airbus Industry) declared with precipitation shortly after the accident that the aircraft was beyond any doubt. The final report (published 18 months after the accident) comes to the same conclusion, but the authenticity of the data on which the report has always been very doubtful, and since May 1998 it is proven by the report of the Lausanne IPSC that the Flight Data Recorder (DFDR) was substituted after the crash. For 10 years the media have not stopped reporting about the anomalies which have accompanied the technical investigation of the accident from the beginning.

The Captain's Version

Captain Asseline flew the aircraft manually. He had been instructed by Air France to overfly the airfield at 100 ft above ground. When he increased throttle to level off at 100 ft, the engines did not respond. So after some seconds he got worried and thought there was something like a short-circuit in the completely computerized throttle control. So he pulled the throttle back all the way and forth again. By that time the aircraft had touched the trees.

After the accident, Captain Asseline was very astonished when he saw on an amateur video tape that the gear was only 30 ft above ground when the aircraft was passing over the runway. He affirms the altimeter of the Airbus A320 indicated 100 ft. "

(source http://www.airdisaster.com/investiga...96/af296.shtml)