PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automated Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2004, 12:53
cortilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scroggs,

Am i wrong in thinking then that if you pulled back on the sidestick this will send a message to the computer which will then do the 'thought process' of "okay this person wants a nose up attitude, let's see with the current parameters can we do it. ahh yes we can okay here you go pilot friend here's some nose up" but if the pilot keeps on pulling back on the stick the computer will then think "hang on if we pull the nose up any further, then we're gonna go into a stall. Now, programming states that this is a bad plan. therefore no sorry i'm not gonna give you any more nose up".

I seem to remember an airbus crash (and i'm not airbus bashing, i'm all for them and think fbw systems in a/c is a great concept) when they first came out,. The pilot wanted to climb but the computer would not let him, and therefore the a/c crashed into the forest. Again in this situation the pilot could not override the computer.

"When alpha exceeds alpha prot, elevator control switches to alpha protection mode in which angle of attack is proportional to sidestick deflection.
Alpha max will not be exceeded even if the pilot applies full aft deflection "

Oh sorry i got the angles wrong for the AOB

"Pitch limited to 30 deg up, 15 deg down, and 67 deg of bank.
These limits are indicated by green = signs on the PFD.
Bank angles in excess of 33 deg require constant sidestick input.
If input is released the aircraft returns to and maintains 33 deg of bank"

and another bit which says the computer has ultimate control.

High Speed Protection:

Prevents exceeding VMO or MMO by introducing a pitch up load factor demand.
The pilot can NOT override the pitch up command.

Okay i will admit that other laws come into effect if there are failures of systems, but that's not what i'm talking about here, i'm talking in the normal situation with all the systems operational.