PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Warbirds - Currency & Experience
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2001, 00:39
ornithopter

Just a thought, if there were no warbirds at all, would those same pilot's be flying other aircraft and doing the same sort of thing - you bet! If there were no warbirds there would be more Extra crashes, more Stampe crashes etc. I know that they may be considered easier to fly, but if someone pushes too hard in warbird and stalls at low level (for instance), then surely they are likely to do the same in whatever aircraft? Restricitng displays to a few turns and flypasts will only put off the public and yet another good thing about Britain will go down the pan. We (Britain) have had a very good display record in previous years due to some effort put in by a lot of people and decent pilots, they took their own risks and by its very nature display flying is dangerous. The public are generally extremely safe at airshows as demonstrated by the excellent record. Would some of you have made F1 a timed race with a straight road with only 1 car at a time after Ayrton Senna's death? or do we make sure things are safe and carry of with our lives, while remembering those who have been lost and learning from their accidents. Interestingly lots of 50 something males lose thier lives on motorbikes each year, but no one is saying that Triumphs should be locked away in garages and never ridden. Being hit by a motorcycle on a country road frightens me more than standing watching an airshow.

My deepest sympathy to those involved.
Orni