PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Map Folding - is this a dark art?
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2004, 07:21
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Microlighters - and helicopter pilots - fold their charts suitably in advance of EACH flight. Microlighters carry them in big map cases with a transparent front showing the bit you need. Helicopter pilots fold them as small as possible...especially R22 pilots ...and stick them somewhere out of the way; I often put mine under my arm.

As far as I'm concerned, refolding your map for each flight is part of flight planning. Make sure you have the whole route easily accessible, and any possible diversions a maximum of a fold away. This means your map will gradually become more flexible and easier to fold as the year goes on...and I reckon a tatty looking map is a sign of an experienced pilot; after all, who wants to walk out to their aircraft looking like a new student, with a pristine unused map etc.

If you want one that looks good before you fly, get on AFE's chart subscription service. You not only always have up to date charts, they come in a big envelope, ready folded. Yes, of course I refold them...it's guaranteed that wherever you want will be on the first main fold...but it does mean they look good until you fly.